Ice Cream & Soy Milk Recipes
Ice Cream-Making Tips
Who doesn't like a dish of delicious ice cream? Unfortunately, if you struggle to stay lean and healthy, the store bought version can be a real road block. However, if you own a Vita-Mix, you can make delicious soft-serve ice cream that not only packs a nutritional wallop, but also explodes with fresh fruit flavor. Throw in a little Whole Nectar Smoothie Mix and you darn near have a meal. Here are a few ice cream-making tips from Vita-Mix's National Show Director, Dan "The Vita-Mix Man" Stuart.
• Use a ratio of 3 to 1 on your ice to liquid.
• Use enough liquid to cover the blades in the container.
• Frozen fruit is a very flavorful substitute for all or part of the ice in the recipe.
• Juice concentrate (not bottled or reconstituted) will give you great flavor. Look for Dole, Welch's, or Hawaii's Own juice concentrates that are 100% juice. The Orange Peach Mango Ice Cream recipe that follows is one of our favorites.
• Bananas are a handy addition that gives your ice cream a creamy texture. Is the ice cream too thick? Adding a banana will help smooth out the thickness without diluting the flavor. Be sure to experiment with frozen bananas in your ice cream recipes in place of part of the ice cubes. (To freeze bananas, select ripe but not overripe bananas, peel, and freeze in a good-quality freezer bag.)